I’m going to forget what I put in this one, I know it.
Somehow, our dogs are good at longevity. Our sweet little corgi mix, Ruthie, was 20 years old when she died. We got Smoke, a terrier mix that looks like someone cut up 5 dogs and sewed them together into a new dog, shortly after we were married, 14 1/2 years ago. She was about 6 months old at the time and this dog – oh, man, was she naughty when she was little. There is absolutely no hyperbole in saying that she ate, ate, a grand total of four couches in the first two or three years we had her. (We are – “Hey, do you want this couch we are getting rid of” people, for the most part, so it wasn’t as expensive a proposition as it might have been). Once she escaped from the house and made a beeline across the street, into the neighbor’s living room, and stole the neighbor dog’s rawhide bone with, what I swear, was the biggest smile on her face.
Bumpus dog. She’s a Bumpus dog.
And now she’s in her twilight years. She’s a lot mellower. She doesn’t eat couches anymore. But boy can she trip you when you’re cooking. She looks very sad at you, and suggests that you might want to drop a touch of whatever you’re up to in her direction. I hate feeding her people food, but Scott has put her in charge of leftover disposal, so she thinks you’re just forgetting when you ignore her.
One day, a couple of years ago, I was chopping carrots, and Smoke was doing her thing, running circles around my feet, tripping me, and looking up with sad eyes and a plaintive whine.
“FINE!” I said. “You’re a DOG. Dogs don’t like carrots. HERE.”
She ate the whole raw thing in three chomps.
This dog loves carrots. She goes nuts for them. She knows what they are when they come out of the refrigerator. So, basically, I have a CSA to keep the dog in organic carrots? That’s sort of a joke.
But I also have a bunch of carrots right now.
Do you know that Moroccan Carrot Salad? That was what I was going for here, but I didn’t quite do it. Doesn’t matter. This soup is tasty anyway. I assume Scott will feed her the leftovers. All spice measurements are approximate, and to taste.
Smokey’s Moroccan Carrot Soup
- Some olive oil
- An onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 inches of ginger root, coarsely chopped
- A little more than a pound of carrots, sliced in 1/4 – 1/2 inch rounds
- Cumin – (about 2 Tablespoons)
- Coriander seed (about a teaspoon)
- Cinnamon (about a Tablespoon)
- Chili powder (a teensy bit)
- The seeds of 1 cardamom pod
- Ginger – around a teaspoon
- Honey – about a tablespoon
- Lemon juice – about a tablespoon
- 4 c broth
- Heat the olive oil and sauté the ginger root and onion until the onion is soft
- Toss in the coriander and stir around until it starts popping
- Add the other spices and stir to coat the onion and ginger root
- Add the carrots and stir until coated
- Squirt in the lemon juice and honey
- Add the broth
- Boil, reduce heat, and simmer until the carrots are soft.
- Blend and serve.