So, after soup six on Sunday, I was hungry, so I decided this one was easy enough that I’d wait. I do actually know how to count. I’m just kind of lazy.
My mom is a tremendous cook. She’s a lot of other things, but man did she valiantly feed a family of six for about a billion years amid cries of “What’s in this?” (she once said “Like saying ‘Turmeric’ makes that turn out any better.”)
She had a few things that I still miss and try to recreate from time to time. My mom makes a French Onion Soup that is the best, and she gave me the recipe. It’s not her recipe, she is quick to point out, but Annemarie’s message. Like I know who that is. With apologies to Annemarie, as far as I’m concerned, this is Mom’s French Onion Soup.
Scott – who was once on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and got off at the Lebanon exit and drove several miles so that he could buy Lebanon Bologna in actual Lebanon, also used to tell me about a time when he rode very far on a motorcycle to have a particular French onion soup. The first time I made this, he was quite skeptical that it would be anywhere near as delicious as that mythical soup, but the first time I made this, he pumped his fist and said “That’s the SOUP!” Now when I come home with consommé, he’s pretty happy, because he knows what’s coming.
- 1 t butter
- a piece of bacon, rendered
- 4 big onions chopped
- 2 cans of consommé
- 1 can of water
- 1 T of sherry (mom uses brandy, which I did not have)
- 4 slices of French bread, toasted
- 1/4 c of smoked or regular gruyere
- 1/4 c of parmesan cheese
- Cook the bacon to render about 1 t of fat. Remove the bacon part, leave the fat, throw in the butter and melt.
- Throw in the chopped onions and sauté til they’re golden brown
- Add the consommé and water, bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer
- Simmer for an hour. Add the sherry, and simmer 10 more minutes
- Put the toast in oven proof soup bowls, one per bowl,or in a crock. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Broil until the cheese is bubbly (with a cookie sheet underneath)
Eat. Make your husband happy!